Monday, April 11, 2011

I smell like an alpaca

It has been written that alpacas do not smell. What should be written is that compared to most livestock they have a much milder aroma. As I sat down to write my first entry to this blog I thought an alpaca followed me into the house. It's me, I smell like an alpaca. Guess I've been spending a little too much time around my fuzzy friends. Nothing a good shower won't cure. For the record I do not knit. My job is to take care of the alpacas so that they will provide us with the most wonderful fleece in which we will make luxurious yarns. Shearing day is coming up in May. My fluffy friends will turn into the skinniest and funniest looking creatures in just a matter of minutes. Wish I could have someone shear me so I didn't have to go to Weight Watchers. Today is the first warm day we have had in a very long time. We used to have horses and they always laid down and sunbathed when it first warmed up. It would look like a field of dead animals. Alpacas apparently like to do the same thing. As I entered the field to clean up, the three little boys were all stretched out soaking up the sun. When they saw me all got up except Kigo. He is my beautiful brown Jr Herdsire. He was doing a good impression of death. Was sure he was just sunbathing but had to make sure so I walked over to check him out. He didn't move a muscle but his eyes said it all with an attitude "can't you see I'm sunbathing leave me alone". I backed off. Turned on the fans to keep them cool. Sure hope this nice weather sticks around for awhile.

1 comment:

  1. I finally got around to doing laundry from last weekend, and everything smelled like alpaca :)

    ReplyDelete