Thursday, February 12, 2015

Bucket List...Checking it off one by one

I have been slacking in my blogging updates. Guess it's the winter blahs. I was also sick with the flu and bronchitis. Fun times. But I'm on the mend and after spending lots and lots of time in my living room, we bundled up and ventured out for some fun adventures.

One of my favorite places to visit is the Historic Longstreet Farm at Holmdel Park.
I saw on Facebook that their pond was frozen enough to harvest the ice. 
I was surprised because as cold as it's been, we've had a few days warm enough to thaw the pond so we couldn't go out on ours. Holmdel is is only 15 miles or so north of us, but I guess it makes a big difference! So, we bundled up and headed out on a Saturday afternoon.




Chase thought this was Kristoff from Frozen :)
 The volunteers taught us all about the ice harvest and how they would store it in the ice house. It would last all year and through the summer. They would pack it with hay and salt to keep it frozen. This whole process really makes me appreciate a freezer.
 



Bucket List Check Off...
I have always wanted to milk a cow. I guess it's the lactation lady in me.
Lily the cow had her baby, Blossom. How cute is she!!??? It was milking time and we were allowed to come in the stall and milk Lily while Blossom hung out next to her.
It was very easy to milk her. She was a nice cow and seemed very pleased to meet all the people.
 


We took a nice long snowy walk around the farm to visit all our favorite animals.


Corn for the pigs...








Hi kitty cat. We see you.
 

While I was sick, I read two books. 
Girl on the Train (ok...not sure how I feel about it)
I also read a very cute little book called,
Etta and Otto and Russel and James. I loved it. Not sure if it appeals to the masses, but I loved it.
I also knitted a ton. I finished my Sibella cowl. I used Anzula Squishy yarn and as much as I loved working with it, I'm disappointed in the finished cowl. The yarn was not the right yarn for this. It just folds up on itself when I wear it. It needed yarn with more tooth and structure. But I still love it and it is super soft and keeps me warm.



Lots of snow.
 
 That's my new cowl, new glasses and Chase's tongue.

Someone got a hair cut.

So cold here that the puddles froze and we did some ice skating in front of the barn.
 I have always wanted to knit a fair isle sweater for myself. So I dove into my stash box to come up with some good combos. I tried a few, and couldn't come up with a good mix.
I'm planning on making the Clayoquot sweater.



Since I couldn't come up with anything out of my bin, I headed up to Chelsea Yarns (one of my favorite lys) Chase took my phone and took some yarn pics.
 

I ended up with some Rowan Pure Wool for the sweater. A nice dark gray with lime green and sky blue accents. Bucket list checked off again. Fair isle sweater for me!
 



 Could not get a not blurry photo of my socks. This is knitted with Cascade Heritage Yarn.
I finally have the hang of sock making.

 

Reading Room. Can't put it down!

The kids have off school this week and the idea of staying home all week sounded like torture to me.
Don't get me wrong, I love hanging out at home, but I needed to get out!
So we booked a quick get away to Great Wolf Lodge in the Poconos with a few of our friends. I have always wanted to go there so I was thrilled to go!
It was great!!! Kids loved it. Missed having my guy with us, but he had to stick home this time.




 Then we bundled up again and headed over to Camelback for some snow tubing.
So fun!!!!!!!!



 Finished off the trip with a nice dinner at the Barley Creek Brewery.

So that's it for our recent adventures. Farm pictures and alpaca pictures coming tomorrow!


1 comment:

  1. I have a pretty long bucket list but a little at a time I have been crossing things off. One thing I crossed off last year was, learn how to knit ;) I have never heard of that farm in Homdel, it looks very cool!!

    I have been thinking about a taking a cold weather adventure, yours looks fun!!

    ps.....love the hat and the cowl!!

    ReplyDelete