Thursday, October 1, 2015

Knitting and healing


I had an experience today that I want to share. I feel like it's a story that needs to be told and I need to write it down before I go to bed tonight.

As most of you know, I knit a little every day. It calms me, centers me and makes me feel good.
It gives me little vacation from every day tasks and stress. Today, I passed that gift along.

I was asked by a friend if I could teach her niece and sister in law to knit. Her beautiful niece, a senior in college, was recently diagnosed with cancer and is undergoing chemotherapy. She thought that knitting would give them something to do as they spent days and weeks in hospitals and home recovering. I jumped at the chance and today was our first lesson.

I usually teach at the farm but for health reasons, I went to their house with needles, yarn and a big cup of Rook coffee in hand. I was greeted by a beautiful mom, an adorable tiny grandmother and a young woman with a huge smile. The side effects of chemo have clearly affected her appearance but her smile was big and she was excited to knit.

We sat around their kitchen table and I began my lessons just as I always do.
And for two hours, I had the pleasure to watch three people, who are going through a very hard and scary time in life, have fun, laugh and learn. They giggled and concentrated. Shared their progress, reveled in their success, smiled and relaxed. The grandmother had learned as a child but didn't knit as an adult. It was tucked deep in her brain and it flew out! She looked like she had been knitting every day of her life. It was so much fun to see.

 I wish I had been able to take a picture of the three of them at one point. They were all on the same side of the table and the grandmother was standing over her granddaughter, showing her how to knit a few stitches, they were all close together and all smiling.
I will never forget that scene. 

Knitting (or any craft) is a gift. I wish for everyone to find something that can take your mind off the stresses of life and let you enjoy a moment of your day. In the end you have something that you made with your own two hands and it brings people together. It truly is a magical thing.

It was time for me to leave the lesson so I could meet my kids after school.
In one afternoon I could feel the love and positive outlook that these women have.
I am wishing for health and healing and lots of knitting!

Please keep them in your prayers.



4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing this. There are no words.

    ReplyDelete
  2. touching others, passing on your gift!!! this is a beautiful entry leanne and in a much smaller way, you have done the same for me!!!

    ReplyDelete