Friday, December 11, 2015

'Tis the Season to Be Thankful



I was enjoying a glass of wine last night after everyone in my house went to sleep. The wine wasn't just any glass of wine. It was a gift from one of my knitters. Her name is Joan. Her husband, Rich  makes wine and she gifted me two bottles. Now....home made wine could go one of two ways. You know what I mean. It's either wonderful or tastes like an old juice box that got left under a seat in your car for months. Well...lucky for me, Joan's husband's wine does NOT taste like an old juice box. Both bottles were delicious. 

So...where am I going with this? Well, I was sitting in my quiet house, next to my Christmas tree, knitting my fair isle sweater, watching Home Alone (best Christmas movie) and enjoying the wine and I started thinking about things. I started knitting 7 years ago. I started because I had always loved to create things with my hands and at that time I was a quilter. It wasn't until my kids started school and I found myself sitting in the car at the bus stop or preschool line that I wanted to have something more portable to work on. Lugging a quilt around was a bit cumbersome and didn't really work for my lifestyle. So, I tried knitting. I am mostly a self-taught knitter. A quick lesson with a friend and hours and hours of You Tube videos, lots of mistakes and successes and I am a knitter. 

I love to teach and once I felt comfortable with my knitting and my understanding of the craft, I felt like it was time to teach others. I remember being SO nervous teaching my first "real" class. I had a group of women that were willing to pay me to learn. What if I couldn't teach them? After all, knitting isn't easy at first. It's like tying your shoes for the first time when you're a little kid. It's tricky, but then you "get" it and it's smooth sailing. 

But I was able to teach them. And they all learned. And they all knitted a square. And then a scarf. And then a hat....and a sweater...and fair isle....and I started to have my own little knitting circle.
Women of all ages and backgrounds came into my life. They entered the farm and my knitting classes as strangers and have turned into friends and family.

Just this week, I received  messages from my knitters just saying hi, updating me on their health and a dream that gave them hope, one attended my band concert and I always get kind messages on my knitting posts. It means the world to me.

I feel so lucky and blessed at this time to have so many wonderful people in my life that all stem from knitting. I always say, knitters are the nicest people. Thank you to everyone that visits our farm and enters our lives. I know I'm not just speaking for myself in my family when I say this. 
You all know who you are...we are thankful for you! 

Wishing everyone a happy and HEALTHY holiday season!
Cheers!

-Leanne

5 comments:

  1. Thank you Leanne and the best Holiday Wishes to you and your family as well. I am a new self-taught knitter also, just having started in earnest this year. I have yet to bind-off anything but have several projects on my needles and I too watch YouTube videos religiously. I can't wait until the day that I am able to visit Arrow Acres Farm and purchase some of your wonderful Alpaca yarn. Until then, Happy Holidays and Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You and your family are so welcoming and wonderful people. You made something that I felt was daunting into something fun and rewarding. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Merry Christmas Leanne and let's toast to another happy, healthy and knitty new year! My family has found comfort and joy in you and your whole family and for that I am forever grateful. Much love. J

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great article!!
    I am delighted to read this article..thank you for sharing.!!
    And Merry Christmas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. you leanne, your entire family and that farm of yours have brought immeasurable joy to my life. you will never know how much joy and happiness i feel whenever i am there. that when i talk to others about "this farm" i found, "my farm"...the farm that filled a void in my life, my face lights bright. learning to knit, that was the BIG unexpected bonus!!! i love you leanne and i have learned a lot from watching you, and i am not talking about knitting. as a mom, a wife, a family woman, you really do have it all together. you know what's important, you know how to make everyone around you feel warm, welcome and loved. i am forever grateful for all i have learned from you!!!!......now if i could "wing it" once, just once....and maybe not measure something, or maybe make a mistake and not panic....then i will have that wonderful quality that you have!!!

    merry christmas leanne, to you and the entire family!! and kiss chase for me, i miss him so!!!!

    ReplyDelete