Tuesday, November 28, 2023

Change of Plans






While wandering the barns and vendors of Rhinebeck (NY Sheep & Wool Festival), I spotted a woman wearing a beautiful sweater. I ran up to her, asked what it was and she told me the Oak Lane Sweater had just been released. I knew I wanted to make it. Later in the weekend I found yarn for the background at a little booth in the "up down barn" (as we refer to it). The booth was going out of business to the woman's health issues so I bought 4 beautiful skeins of her "Skippy" yarn. It's a fingering weight yarn made up of 50% Baby Doll Southdown and 50% Corriedale wool. I love it! 

Then I got home and went to buy the pattern. I looked at the project pages and paused. I absolutely love the pattern! It's a gorgeous sweater. But I started to think about the sweaters I have been wearing the most recently and I realized the all-over colorwork sweaters were the last ones I go for. I've been enjoying looser fitting sweaters (my Weekender) and cardigans like my Francesca and Quill

So, the hunt for a new pattern began. I ended up landing the Eaves Sweater by Kate Oates. I thought I would get a lot of wear out of it. It will take me most of the winter to knit between commissioned knits and farm store knits. It would be perfect. Then I casted on. Let me tell you, it's the weirdest construction I have ever done to start a sweater! I was ready to rip it all out and pick a new one. But I stuck with it. I'm on a roll now and onto the colorwork and I'm going to stick with it. This sweater has a bunch of new techniques for me and it will be great for our New to You MAL 2024. 

It's never a bad idea to have a change of plans if need be...



 

1 comment:

  1. the yarn is so pretty and i LOVE the stitch marker. good luck...i am sure it will be done next week!!

    ReplyDelete