Tuesday, May 23, 2023

Summer Things
























 End of spring is here. It's almost summer. I admit I don't love summer. I know...it's weird. Yes, we live miles from the beach and we have the best of both worlds with the farm life and beach life. I do love that. But I don't love the business of feeling like you have to be outside all the time in the summer. Is that weird? Probably. But I love to "nest" inside. Make food, knit under a quilt on the couch, when it gets dark early, I really don't mind all of that. Summer as an adult is filled with busy days of working full time, managing kids, running my little one around, feeling guilty that I can't do more with him because of work. Fall and winter are more my speed. All of this is to say, I want to feel like myself over the summer this year.

SOOOO....I planted flower seeds, I have hope that my flower garden will be nice this summer. Thanks to my dad that added a gate to the small field between alpaca fields, I may have a chance at something growing. He did this last year but I never went out to plant the seeds. Over the weekend I planted zinnias, cosmos and sunflowers. I also have wildflowers and cosmos in the bed by my front porch. Maybe I'll have more luck this year. I have some pretty hanging baskets up at the porch and chicken coop. I also got some free perennials off Facebook and transplanted them by the chicken coop to hopefully add some shade and make it pretty. Fingers crossed.

I'm ALMOST done with my pink sweater. I have been working on it since last year. Yes, it sat in a bag for half the year, but still...that's a long time for me to have something in the works. Note to self, fingering weight knitted sweaters are NOT my jam. 

Buddy has been a handful lately. I love him...a lot. He's like a bonkers toddler these days.....So when he sleeps its a very nice break :)

I started listening to a "new to me" podcast called Cookbook Club. I saw them mentioned on one of my favorite blogs, Posie Gets Cozy. Alicia is writing her own cookbook and she mentioned this podcast. I hopped on Spotify to listen and was sucked right in. I went to the library to grab a few of the cookbooks they mentioned in the episode I listened to and today I made this granola from Smitten Kitchen Cookbook.
It was super easy and delicious!!!!! The granola in the jar is just a small amount from the big batch. It made a lot of granola! I bought the ingredients at Trader Joe's last weekend. Chase had a game near there and I was excited to pick up some things. It's a little bit of a drive for me so when I'm in the area I always try to stop in. I wish it was closer! I have so many things I love from Trader Joe's.

I'm going to make a point to make more homemade food items this summer. I always feel like summer is a rush, always running around, chaos. And I don't love that. I'm a routine girl and when we're all over the place, I'm a bit out of whack! Cooking, baking, gardening, knitting, all make me feel like myself so the summer will have lots of that (I hope). And going to the beach on the weekends. That I LOVE. A good book, the ocean and some friends. That is the fun part of summer for me.

Ok...have to get back to work. Hope you're all doing well!


2 comments:

  1. I was so surprised to read this: "I don't love the business of feeling like you have to be outside all the time in the summer. Is that weird? Probably. But I love to "nest" inside. Make food, knit under a quilt on the couch, when it gets dark early, I really don't mind all of that." I am the girl who loves when in gets dark out at 4:30. dark = time to cook and then it's ok to sit on the couch and knit. so weird...when i tell peeps that's it's like i have some anti-sunshine/anti-long day disease!! i love when it rains, another excuse to stay indoors. i love my home, i adore being outdoors but in the summer, i pressure myself to go outdoors and especially use the pool!!

    you are going to love your cutting garden, the cosmos are the best!! the granola looks yummy...you are up to good things!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I make my own granola too. I eat it in plain greek yogurt for the crunch. I also do not love summer much because it just gets too hot. Unlike you I don't live near a beach and it gets pretty humid for me. I planted alot of flower seeds before we left on our trip, but it doesn't look like it was that successful, so I'm planting more tomorrow. I love Cosmos, but have never had luck with them coming up (I did plant more this year). My milkweed for the monarchs are going strong though! I took my sourdough starter with me on our trip so I could feed it, so I'll be making more bread and cinnamon rolls soon. I knit all year long with the A/C on! Fall is my favorite and then Winter. I love snow! When else can we wear the sweaters we make?? :)
    B.J.

    ReplyDelete