Thursday, September 7, 2023

Finishing What She Started


For anyone that follows my sister and me on YouTube or reads this blog, you will probably remember the heartbreaking loss of my sister's mother-in-law last February. Janice fought Pancreatic Cancer with everything she had but that awful disease won. Janice was a wonderful woman. The kindest person you will ever meet. Not a mean bone in her body! She loved her family so much and we miss her. 

The night before she passed away, she came out of her sedated state and spoke very clearly to my sister and my brother-in-law. She told them her wishes, was able to say goodbye, even cracked a tiny smile. Janice was a quilter and made every family member a quilt to celebrate occasions. Weddings, college graduation, baby's birth, she loved quilting. During that brief conversation she told Liz there were two quilts that needed to be finished. One was for her cousin (more like a sister) and one was for her young granddaughter, Sophia. Janice knowing I was also a quilter, asked if I would finish the one for Sophia. All the pieces were put together but it needed to be quilted. Liz knew I would be honored to do it and said yes.

When Liz called to tell me, I was so touched and honored. What a very special task to be given. A few days after she passed, I got the quilt and was ready to work on it. But it was so sad! I had a hard time getting started. I would pick it up and get sad. Put it down, put it folded in the corner next to my couch. I told myself I would have it ready in time for Sophia's birthday in December. I have to be honest too....the quilt is not my taste. I know! I feel bad even saying it. But the fabric choices are a bit (a LOT) brighter than I like. So looking at it has been challenging!!! I know...it's terrible I'm saying this. But it's true! Janice, I love ya, but the colors....!!!!

Anyway, it's been on my mind a lot lately and I knew I had to finish it. On Saturday, the day after moving our middle son back to college I was tired and just needed to sit on the couch for a while. So I got the quilt out of its corner, sat down and got to finishing what she started. I started out fine, happy to be doing it. Then I cried. Had a moment of grief pass over me. I felt like she was there with me for a little while. I hope she was. And I hope she's not upset it took me so many months to work on it. 

I promise to finish what you started and gift it to your sweet little granddaughter (in time for her birthday!)

We miss you Janice xoxoxo

2 comments:

  1. oooooh i remember this!!! you loved janice, you don't have to love the quilt. you and janice will finish it together, i am sure her spirit is sitting on your shoulder. and what an honor that she chose you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Can't wait to see. ~Carrie

    ReplyDelete