Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Knit a Square for Newtown

I honestly don't know how to make heads or tails out of what happened in Newtown. 
I can't shake it. I'm sure I'm not alone in this. Finally I feel like I can help...in a very small way.

I just received an email from Three Irish Girls Yarn.
I will copy and paste some of it in this post...

Hello knitters,
Three Irish Girls is looking for some kind-hearted helpers. In the wake of the recent elementary school tragedy, we have started a group called, Knitters for Newtown. Knitters for Newtown is going to show the world what fiber artists can do. We're going to knit 26 blankets for the families of the Sandy Hook Elementary victims. And we're going to raise $10,000 to donate directly to charities that will help them
.

Knit a square and it will be part of 26 blankets that will go to families of Newtown Elementary. You can also purchase yarn from Three Irish Girls and they will donate part to the charities that will benefit the victims families.

I don't know how to make heads or tails out of this tragedy, but I know I can knit. I know how much comfort a knitted blanket can bring someone. It shows you care. It shows you took time and that you thought of the person while you made it.

If you are local and want to bring it to our farm, I can collect and mail them together.
 
 They started a Facebook page as well as a Ravelry Group for more information.

This is the info that they have posted on their Facebook page:

Information for those of you itching to start knitting:
Squares should be 8" by 8" in garter stitch -- that will make it easier to seam them together.
(If you're a new knitter, garter stitch is all knitting, no purling.)

You can knit a plain square, or knit a design into it.
 Please get them as close to 8" square as possible.

When you're ready, here's where you'll send them:
Three Irish Girls
Attn: Knitters for Newtown
PO Box 161165
Duluth, MN 55816

Again, if you live close by and want to drop it off at the farm,
I will mail them together.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment