Friday, June 5, 2020

Close at Heart

When you're 8 years old, finishing up third grade and you have to spend the last few months in your house, learning from home, attend zoom meetings with your teacher and class, watching your parents work from home, watching your older brothers finish up their high school years, wondering what is going on in the world, it can be hard. My littlest has had ups and downs over the past few months. He doesn't love being in school, so part of this quarantine has been enjoyable for him. Besides doing math, he doesn't love doing school work. My older boys were always good students and enjoyed school. They both wish they were back at school now. My little one is a different story. VERY different kid! And I love him for that. But it's also a challenge to switch to online school and keep him engaged and get him through his reading and writing lessons. I love to read and I have to remind myself that not everyone is a book nerd like me. Then again, I loathe doing math and it's a huge challenge for me. So I try to be very patient with him and help him with his work. I wish I could make him love stories, but so far, no luck.

On Wednesday of this week, the school had a "Virtual Field Day". This also meant a break from school work ALL DAY! Yippee! His teacher reached out to the families and told us she would be visiting each and every student's home that day with a goodie bag and a wave from the porch. I have had three boys in this elementary school. My sisters and I also went to this school. We have had so many wonderful teachers throughout our years. I have had the pleasure to be class mom for many years and got to know teachers better. This year Chase got a teacher I didn't know. My older boys didn't have her. She was young and adorable. Seriously, look up third grade teacher in a dictionary and it would be her. I have been in her class for class parties and I was impressed with everything she did. The way she kept the kids engaged every moment. She encourages them, has fun, has complete control of the class, understands each student. She allows them freedom to move about the room to learn. (Great for my wiggle worm of a kid). Overall, one of the best of the best!

In her goodie bag for the kids, she gave them sunglasses, Hawaiian lei, bracelet, marigold seeds, a sweet note and a book that she wrote and illustrated! It was so sweet of her. Chase had an extra bounce in his step all week because of her visit. I don't think he realized how much he missed her and his classmates. It was nice to see him happy.

This time has been interesting. We have done well. I have enjoyed being home very much. I feel more connected to my kids. I wonder though, what will they look back on and remember about this time? Will Chase remember it all? I know my teenagers will never forget this time. But as an 8 year old, what will he remember? I hope he appreciates his time in school next year. The daily routine and interaction with kids and teachers can't be replaced by us! I applaud all home school families. I know public school is not for everyone. I know every child and parent are different. I do know that to be a home-school mom the also works from home is challenging. I wish I could have dedicated more time to help him but I have juggled as best I could these past three months. It's almost summer time and I think my little guy is ready to just play.

Here is a photo of the book written by his teacher, Jill Turner. It is available on Amazon. The link is here. It is so sweet! Here's the description from Amazon:

Did you know that sea otters hold hands while they sleep? Learn why in this fable that takes you through the journey of two adorable sea otters that drift away from each other one night. Follow the otter's mini adventure as he tries to find his way back home to be with his otter friend. There is also an appearance by a very kind pelican, but you will have to read the story to see just how special she is. These precious otters remind us of the importance of friendship and of remaining close to those we love. The sweet story and illustrations are enjoyed by babies and toddlers being read to, as well as older children doing the reading. Whether this story is presented as a read-aloud or as a bedtime story, it will captivate both the young and the young at heart.

I recommend it to everyone! I started a little girl shawl to sell in the coop. It's the Trellis Shawl.



1 comment:

  1. when chuck was young, his teacher wrote on his report card "charles is a wiggle worm'!! we always laugh about that!!

    you should never doubt your parenting skills, "you are the mom everyone wishes they had"!!

    that yarn is gorgeous!!

    ReplyDelete