Wednesday, January 12, 2022

Lunch Hours



Over the past two years (can you believe Covid-19 has been part of our lives for almost two years now?)..anyway...for almost the past two years I have been working from home most days. Before our lives were turned upside down, I would always leave my office and go out. Usually home to walk the dog, make lunch, watch some tv, knit a bit, run an errand, what ever I could fit into an hour. It was always rushed and a little crazy but I would walk back into my office for the afternoon refreshed and ready to work. Everyone I worked with agreed that I was more productive and creative when I left for a bit. My creative brain always needs a little break to refresh. My boss used to laugh and say, go out and come back!!! It's kind of like when you have to turn off and turn back on an electronic device to get it to work again.

But what has slowly happened over the past two years is that I haven't been taking a lunch break. I make some lunch, maybe get something prepped for dinner, run a quick errand and right back to my desk. I hardly ever take that hour anymore. And I think it's been a bad thing for me. Burnout is a real thing and boy oh boy I've been feeling it the past few months. My dog is too old to go for walks anymore. Isn't that sad??? He's almost completely blind and going for walks scares him and he stays upset after we come back inside. So we don't do that anymore. But I have promised myself in 2022 that I will get back to my lunch breaks. It might be running errands but I promised myself to take some time to disconnect for a bit during the middle of the day. 

So today...I made a list of what I want to do over my lunch hour. 

-Take a walk to the mailbox and as far as I can before I freeze! (it's really cold here today!)

-Marinate chicken for tonight's dinner (grilled chicken burrito bowls)

-Make a New to You MAL post on instagram and browse our # to see what people are making

-Cast on for a new brioche hat to share with our patrons while watching a quick episode of Ghosts (the British version on HBO Max)

That should fill my hour!

p.s. every time I come back to blogging I remember how much I like it. Even if no one reads it. 


3 comments:

  1. I thought I was missing a blog or two! I almost kicked you email to the bit-bucket but "Lunch Hours?" what's this about? I am a curious Sagittarian so read it all and glad I did. I feel your pain or dislocation. I retired at 62 to move in with my Dad before he passed and now with all this inflation I may seek employment again. I miss the money of course but I also miss being productive - I started out as an automotive and heavy equipment mechanic years ago and then graduated out of the "grease pit" into the IT computer industry in 1997 as a computer technician. I miss being productive and helping people and bettering society. Right now I am in a situation where I have to help myself before I can do much for the rest of society but I'm working on it! It was good to read your posting and I am glad you are back. I have more patterns of all kinds that I couldn't knit if I lived as long as Methuselah! HAPPY NEW YEAR! It's a new slate to write on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. but i read it, every word and i "totally" enjoy it!! i love knowing what you are up to, and i really enjoy your positive influence!! you look great here and i just saw you at home!!

    i love lists, i make them all the time for everything, i think they are so helpful!!

    2 posts in as many days, i like it!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read it! I check all the time for new posts! Don't stop...please.

    ReplyDelete