Monday, February 6, 2023

February "Yarn Along"

I was inspired by my friend, Purple Debbie, and casted on a double brim hat.
I think it will be perfect to wear when walking Buddy. Nice and cozy against my ears.
I've made one before but I did a horrible job joining it. This went a lot better but I definitely didn't get it perfect. But that's ok...it's just for me so no big deal.

We have been having an awful few weeks around here. My sister's mother-in-law has been battling pancreatic cancer for almost a year. Can someone find a cure for it please??!!!! It's just been awful to see her suffer. She has been fighting so hard but we knew the end was near. 

As I sat and waited yesterday for the news we all knew would be coming soon, I read this entire book,
We All Want Impossible Things by Catherine Newman.

I found Catherine after reading one of my favorite non-knitting blogs, Cup of Jo.
You can read a few of her posts here and here. We are always trying to find the humor in every situation and the past few weeks has been VERY hard to find the humor. But we tried our best! I inhaled every page. I laughed, I cried, it kept me company while I waited. Grief, death, dying, it's all sucky. That's for sure. But we will celebrate her life and remember her every day. We promise to keep her memory alive for her grandchildren. I don't often write to an author after I read a book, but thanks for social media, it's easy to do that these days. I sent Catherine a message on Instagram and she immediately wrote me back. I thanked her for writing this novel and how it kept my mind busy all day. It also provided a very comforting look at dying and hospice, and friendship. And now I want to try the lemon cake.


As I woke to the news I dreaded getting, a calm came over me. 
It's the clearest my head has been in weeks. The pain is over. Now we can celebrate a life.
And the dog still needs to be walked....so we headed up to the neighbor's pond and got our energy out.






 

3 comments:

  1. I am so very sorry for your family's loss. The waiting is so hard. I have added that book to my those I want to read. My mother is currently in hospice care. I could use some laughs and tears some days. I like the way your hat is looking. I don't think I ever realized these were called double brimmed hats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cathie, I'm so sorry to hear that you are going through a similar situation with hospice. I hope your mom can pass peacefully and my thoughts are with you. You might love this book.

      Delete
  2. you are such a kind soul leanne. janice was so lucky to have you guys in her life and you to have her. i love seeing my name here, knowing i inspired you. i don't know what to say about your hat, you just started it...really?? and you are almost done, i am not done yet!! maybe that book could be our new book for our book club, i am almost finished with last months!!

    i don't know how you do all that you do and with such speed...i am so jealous!!

    ReplyDelete