Tuesday, May 26, 2020

A New Quilt for the House

If you have been following along with me the past year, you would have seen the college quilt I made for my son. I finished it about a month ago and I've missed working on it.

I have two years before my next son goes to college so I though I would make a new quilt just for the house. In girly colors! The college quilt was designed by Then Came June and I really enjoyed making it so I went back to her for a new pattern.

I decided on the Meadowlands Quilt. I saw it on instagram in many color combinations and I found one I really liked! I have some left over fabric from my sewing days, but not a lot. So I reached out to my friend, Seashore Sharon. She is a big quilter and her house is like a mini-store! I asked if she had any scraps in the colors of the quilt I liked and she said she would look. Well, a half hour later, she texted me that not only did she have fabric, she had the ENTIRE kit of that quilt top at her house! She bought it and never made it. I bought it from her and got right to work. Cutting pieces and making a glorious mess of color in my house. I started on Friday afternoon (work ended at 2:00 for Memorial Day). By Saturday morning I had a few blocks together. By the end of Sunday night, I had the entire top pieced. That was a benefit of a cloudy cool Memorial Day weekend. Now it's time to arrange the blocks, sew them together and order the batting and backing fabric. I hand quilt my quilts. It's my favorite part.


You start with 20 fabrics. Then you cut them into multiple sizes and mix and match. I used most of the fabric from Sharon but some were just too bright for me, so I added to it from my stash of fabric.



I had a nice little set up. I moved my computer over and put the machine up on my desk. I played some Netflix while I sewed. I watched all of Sweet Magnolia on Netflix.



First batch of squares done.



And there are the rest! It's a nice big throw size.



And there ya have it....another quilt in the works.

1 comment:

  1. i love it, you are amazing, i don't know how you do, all that you do!!

    i started Sweet Magnolia but chuck didn't like it and we always watch tv together. i will have to watch it when he naps, i loved it!!!

    and whats with no posts and then 3....i had to catch up!!

    ReplyDelete