Thursday, May 28, 2020

Let Them Eat Pie





I wanted to make my grandmother's apple pie for Memorial Day. I thought it would be a nice way to honor my grandfather that served in World War II and was stationed on the Arizona. If you haven't heard about my apple pie recipe, it was the chef on the Arizona's recipe. It was a favorite of my grandfather's and he had the recipe sent home to my grandmother. Thankfully he was not on the ship the day it was bombed but in California in a training class. I thought I had more apples at home but I didn't! Only 2 little apples. Wouldn't be enough for pie! So I did a quick search on Pinterest and found this berry pie. I had a big bag of frozen berries in my freezer so a berry pie it would be! I used my grandmother's crust recipe and got fancy! I have never made a lattice pie crust before. It was much easier than I expected.

The pie was delicious. I served it with strawberry ice cream. You are supposed to let it cool for a few hours but we only waited an hour. It was warm and gooey and delicious.

Do you have a favorite pie recipe?

1 comment:

  1. i don't make pie, i love to bake, but i never got into pie. i have made small, handheld, individual pies, with glaze, they are very good!!! your pie looks amazing and i love the title of this entry!!!

    ReplyDelete