Wednesday, August 2, 2023

Sourdough....Take 2!

Sorry, I know this is super boring to some people (most people) but I get such a kick out of what you can do with flour and water. My original sourdough starter died. I killed it. All my fault. Complete disregard for my little starter. It was 3 1/2 years old and made so many good loafs.

The old one went in the trash and a new one began 7 days ago.
Here are the progress photos and a final product of my first loaf from this starter.

Day 1


Day 2- we have bubbles!


Day 3 - starts to get a little weird but all good


Day 4 - bubbles!


Day 5- moved to a new jar


Day 6 - that's a happy starter!


Day 7....it's almost time!


It grew a ton yesterday so I went for it...first loaf of this starter made today!


Here we go!


Doing it's thing for the next four hours. I pull at it every hour and let it rest.


Scored and ready for the oven


Ahhhhh. Delicious. The house smells so good. Can't wait to slice into it.


I follow the directions from this site for my starter and recipe for bread. I sprinkled some fresh rosemary from my garden in this one. I didn't have bread flour in the house so I used all-purpose today. It made the crust look a bit different but I bet it's just as yummy!



I sliced into it while it was still warm, cut a jersey tomato, spread some mayo, sprinkled sea salt and pepper and had myself a delicious simple sandwich. Perfect. (well if there was bacon on it then it would be perfect!)








 

1 comment:

  1. i LOVE, LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your bread, it's so good. making a tomato sandwich with it, i can't even imagine it. BUT mikes mayo, why not hellmans?? it makes a difference!! i am seriously drooling!!!

    ReplyDelete