Monday, August 7, 2023

Summer Strawberry Cake

I've been listening the Cookbook Club podcast this summer. The two women discuss recipes, cookbooks they have tried, food tips, etc. I have tried a few recipes they rave about and they mentioned the cookbook, Sweet Enough by Alison Roman. I requested it through my library. I had it in a few days. I LOVE our library system!!! Anyway, I brought it home and asked Chase to flip through it to see if he wanted me to make anything in the book. I don't typically have a sweet tooth but I have learned to love baking (thank you Covid lockdown). As he flipped through, he said "this is all fancy stuff. I just want brownies out of a box." Well, sorry kid. This time I felt like trying something new. But he didn't want anything from this book, so I hopped online for some more ideas. The women on the podcast mentioned the "Summer Strawberry Cake" from Smitten Kitchen. So even though that wasn't in this cookbook, I went online and found the recipe. 



I really wanted to show this cookbook because of this paragraph in the beginning.
I was a horrible baker for YEARS. AWFUL. Really awful. I didn't really pay attention (you have to pay attention when baking). During covid lockdown pandemic time, I decided to learn how to bake. I started using a food scale and I swear that has made the biggest difference (and making sure my baking ingredients are NOT a million years old). Anyway, I don't want to bake things unless they also show a weight.
I digress...


On to the cake that I did make...
This is the Summer Strawberry Cake by Smitten Kitchen. 
It was so easy! I made mine in a springform pan based on the comment by the baker.




I let it cool then dusted with a bit of powdered sugar.


I'm not really an ice cream person. But on this ice cream company was featured on The Today Show last week and it peaked my interest. I like their story and I googled where to find it. WholeFoods (around the corner from me) had a ton of flavors. So I grabbed a pint of their Strawberry French Ice Cream to serve with my cake. It was soooooo good. I loved it. They have a lemon poppy muffin flavor I might have to go back for. Here I am "non sweets lover" posting a lot about sweets!


It was delicious. My husband LOVED it. There wasn't a crumb left by morning :)


Do you have a favorite go-to summer dessert?


1 comment:

  1. i do have a favorite go to summer dessert recipe, it's from pampered chef...cappuccino mousse trifle: https://www.food.com/recipe/cappuccino-mousse-trifle-63579

    it's so good!! i am a baker more than a cook but i enjoy both. i do not use a scale but i read why i should and i get it!! your cake looks awesome...i don't have a sweet tooth either, i have a food tooth!! giggle!!

    ReplyDelete