Tuesday, June 20, 2023

Time in the Kitchen







 

It's been an extremely busy spring and early summer with sports and life. Saturday was a very random day that I didn't have to be in a million places at once. I taught knitting earlier in the day found myself with an EMPTY house for the entire afternoon! It was just what I needed.

I felt like spending some time in the kitchen with music playing and no where to be. I started with a simple grilled flatbread using mozzarella, prosciutto, topped with arugula and a squeeze of lemon.

I baked a delicious "new to me" cake from the Smitten Kitchen Cookbook. It is the Blueberry Cornmeal Butter Cake. It was delicious! My family loved it. It's a great combo of cornbread and cake with sweet blueberries mixed in. Very moist from the sour cream. Yum!

I also made one of my favorite meals that I haven't made it forever. Ina Garten's Roasted Chicken with mashed potatoes. Again, very simple and easy. I used fresh herbs from my garden to stuff the chicken. We all love it. My oldest was so happy when he got home from work to smell this cooking in the oven. It's definitely a family favorite. I used the extra chicken to make chicken salad sandwiches for Father's Day lunch. We packed them up and hit the beach for a few hours with our youngest. 

I love having time. Time to do things like this without being rushed. We're in a busy time of life and I know someday I will miss the rushing around with kids. But when a day like this comes up, I'm a happy girl.


Have you cooked or baked anything lately?

1 comment:

  1. the last thing i baked was banana bread, liz gave me the recipe. the last thing we ate at home was pizza and chuck made those. we had dinner at moonstruck for fathers day and dinner was amazing!!

    i love roasted chicken and i never cook them anymore because the chickens at costco are only 5 bucks and they are huge. but you can't beat the smell and taste of a home roasted chicken!!!
    i may try the blueberry cake for the recipe book challenge!!

    ReplyDelete