Monday, August 1, 2022

My Rhinebeck Sweater - 2022






 

Every year I knit a special sweater for Rhinebeck (aka New York Sheep & Wool Festival). Thousands of knitters, crocheters, weavers, and fiber enthusiasts flock to Rhinebeck, NY the third weekend in October year after year. Anyone that has been knows how amazing it is. One of the highlights for me is to see the gorgeous knits everyone creates and wears! It's inspiring to see what people create. I usually plan my Rhinebeck sweater before I go to Maryland Sheep & Wool Festival in May and purchase yarn then. But I didn't get my act together in time this year! August was quickly approaching and I knew I was behind to get this sweater going!!! 

I tend to knit color work yokes. Too many maybe! So I wanted something different this year. My friend Joan (aka Just Joan) and I used to knit sweaters together before I started working full time. It's always fun to have a buddy knitting the same thing. If you have a question, you can bounce it off each other. We were texting back and forth the other day and decided we would knit a sweater together for Rhinebeck.

After looking at a lot of patterns, we decided on this Javelin Pullover by Teti Lutsak. This is the finished sweater:



I love the texture of the yoke and the small cable work. I decided to get some yarn from Webs . I picked the yarn based on the sale. It was clearance yarn and they only had it in purple. So purple it is! 

I made my swatch and it's a little taller than it should be so I'll just keep a close eye on the length as I knit. 
I had two wonderful beach days this weekend and worked on it while I was there. I got a few more rows done last night as my bacon for BLTs was cooking in the oven. I'm really enjoying working on this. It's a beautiful pattern and I think of our upcoming girls Rhinebeck trip with every stitch.

For my past Rhinebeck Sweaters, you can click the links:






Also for 2018: Lovable






After looking through my Ravelry Project pages I realized I started knitting a "Rhinebeck Sweater" in 2016. Before that I would wear a shawl or something I had made that year.

I'm so glad the "Rhinebeck Sweater" is a thing! Can't wait for our trip!!!!!


\




1 comment:

  1. ooooh wait, there i am, how exciting!! i LOVE that picture of us!! i can't believe i was there in 2017, so long ago!! i know i did not go last year but have i gone every year before and since 2017?? i remember the year chuck brought me after my nieces wedding, he was afraid to leave me, he said we were in the middle of nowhere. as we said goodbye, he kept saying "lock the door behind me"!!

    your sweaters are all so beautiful, i don't have a favorite, although 2018 is a front runner, they are all perfect. this years may end up being my favorite, you choose my favorite color and it is a gorgeous shade of purple. i think the color of this years sweater, finished, is definitely your color. perhaps you could make two!!

    i am excited for rhinebeck too, i will be ok to go!! ooooh and my new zealand niece just visited and she brought me yarn, wait until you see it!!!

    ReplyDelete