Monday, July 6, 2020

And.....we're back to the chickens



Babies! For people with chickens, this first bit will make sense. If you don't, just go along...

My buff orpington, "Miss Claire" has been very broody for about 5 weeks. Broody means she wants to sit on eggs so they can hatch and she can be a mom. We don't have a rooster.....so just eggs. No babies. She always gets broody in the spring but it usually only lasts a few days. I have wanted some new babies to add to the flock because my girls just turned 5 and they might not be laying eggs much longer. But I wasn't sure how to incorporate new babies safely. I was always worried that I couldn't keep an eye on them with working full time. Well...thanks to Covid-19 keeping us home and a broody hen, we have four new little girls.

Chase and I picked up four baby chicks on Friday, July 3.




 We got "Olive" a Blue Buff Olive Egger (she will lay dark olive green eggs)



"Miss Turner" a Jersey Blue, named after Chase's teacher this year! She will lay tan eggs.



"Betsy Ross and Martha Washington" both Americaunas (will lay light greenish blue eggs)



This is Miss Claire. I set up a little baby chick pen inside the big part of the coop.
See how she makes herself all wide and puffy? She wants to protect some babies.

I introduced the babies to her late in the afternoon and she took right to them. They went right under her wings and got comfy. Miss Claire was so happy. Clucking away.



I put them in the started cage at night and hoped for the best. I came out in the morning to find everyone happy! See the little ones poking out under the wings?





I put the big girls out in the run of the coop and gave Miss Claire and the chicks the run of the coop house all day Sunday. She followed them around and kept a close eye on them.




This is the coop. The big girls will be in the run all day, new babies and Miss Claire have the house all day and then they all sleep together at night. I have Miss Claire and the babies in their own little pen inside the house so the big girls get used to them. Hopefully in two weeks or so I can put them all together. I'll just see how it goes. I have a feeling Miss Claire will protect them if the big girls try any funny business.



They are my older girls. Foraging a bit before bed. I don't let them out very often because we have so many predators around. But I stayed right by them to keep them safe.

I'm enjoying seeing these babies learn from their mom. It's so cute to watch!







No comments:

Post a Comment